My play toy just happens to be 8GB of memory.
My 8GB of Kingston memory arrived today for my Thinkpad T61p (two 4GB cards). I did realize a performance gain, and over the next few days I will assess whether multiple concurrent virtual machines perform faster and smoother. As you can see in the left-most image, my T61p now has 8GB installed with a Windows 7 64 bit host OS.
As far as a performance gain, the right-most AFTER image shows the improved performance using the Windows 7 performance metrics.
The right-most BEFORE image shows comparable performance before the Kingston memory installation.
As you may recall from my original Sep-2009 blog post
I have pursued several steps in getting ready for 64 bit Windows 7 and also extending the life of and improving the performance of my Thinkpad T61p. My principal objective has been to migrate my host OS and eventually all guest OSs to 64 bit, however in doing so I also wanted to speed up the hard drives while also adding additional memory to assist with the 64 bit host OS improved performance. To summarize the steps taken since Sep-2009:
Replace original T61p hard drives with faster Hitachi drives; both primary and Ultra-Bay drive. All VMs are on Ultra-Bay drive.
Consider which virtual machine management software I want to use with Windows 7 64 bit host OS. After a few problems, I realized that Microsoft had taken a significant step backwards with the Windows 7 version of Windows Virtual PC (WVP) support and I settled on using the new Windows 7 compatible version of VMWare Workstation; version 7.0. My biggest problem with VMWare Workstation was a problem in conducting an iPhone synchronization within a VMWare virtual machine; which ultimately was resolved as an iPhone data corruption problem
Replace my existing 4GB of memory with 8GB of faster Kingston memory. The obvious goal here was to provide memory beyond the 4GB limit for 32 bit OSs, so that Windows 7 64 bit can freely use all addressable memory, thus hopefully realizing faster and smoother virtual machine performance.
With the above steps now completely realized, here is a sampling of the end result; four concurrent executing virtual machines.....from left to right....1) My old Vista 32 bit Development VM, now converted from VPC 2007 to a VMWare VMDK VM...2) My new 64 bit Windows 7 Development VM; loaded with VS.NET 2010 Beta 2 and all the newly announced products from PDC Nov-2009....3) My 32 bit Windows 7 Administrative VM; containing Outlook, Quicken, etc....and lastly... 4) A small Windows XP image containing IE6 and Firefox 1.5, which I use for legacy testing. The 1st three VMs are assigned 2GB of memory each, while the Windows XP VM is assigned 256MB. Of course, the host OS is 64 bit Windows 7. Sure beats the COMPAQ arm stretcher portable I used to carry through airports in the mid to late 1980s.
Now....is this cool or what ?
After moving to VMWare Workstation 7.0 using Windows 7 64 bit as the host OS, the one remaining problem I had was the inability to backup/sync my iPhone in a VMDK virtual machine. After opening a problem with VMWare and spending many hours testing various tests with VMWare the problem has resolved to being a problem with the iPhone firmware. It appears that a corruption problem can occur when moving the iPhone firmware from version 2 to version 3. The symptom of the problem is extreme slowness when backing up one's iPhone.
For me, the extreme slowness in backing up/syncing the iPhone showed up as the complete inability to backup/sync my iPhone within a VMDK virtual machine. The iPhone backup/sync would come to a complete halt for some reason.
To resolve the iPhone corruption problem, I removed all of my free iPhone applications, which number 20-30 such applications (I am too cheap to actually purchase many iPhone apps). I then conduct a hard reset on the iPhone, after which I reinstall all of the 20-30 applications. At this point, my iPhone backup runs in only about 5 minutes, which was taking over 2 hours with the iPhone corruption problem.
Working with VMWare on this problem was frustrating at times, however they did provide excellent support, even though the problem is with the iPhone.
Using VMWare for my virtual machine support along with a Windows 7 64 bit host OS has been an excellent combination.
My 8gb is on the way via UPS from California. As you know from my prior blog posts the 8gb is part of the master plan in moving to a 64 bit host OS. I should see some improved performance, especially when executing multiple concurrent virtual machines.
I gave a presentation last night on Facebook Integration using the Facebook Developer's Toolkit (FDT). FDT is available on CodePlex and effective with FDT release 3.0 has been renamed to the Microsoft Facebook SDK. Click HERE to download my Power Point presentation and sample C# projects from last night's event.
Facebook offers several ways to implement Facebook applications. When integrated within the context of the Facebook web site, such applications are referred to as Facebook Canvas applications. Canvas application take on two major flavors; IFrame constructed applications and Facebook Markup Language (FBML) applications. External web sites can also enable Facebook users to use their Facebook login IDs within respective external web sites, referred to as the Facebook Connect feature. Windows desktop applications can also be written to benefit from Facebook and gain access to Facebook data, either as Windows Winforms or WPF applications.
The Microsoft Facebook SDK wraps the Facebook REST API to simplify and facilitate ease of development of each of the above application/ deployment types.
Download the Power Point and code from the 1st paragraph to learn more.